"...a lively valentine to sisterhood and a bird that no longer exists..." -- The Washington Post
"One Came Home is a rare gem of a novel." -- The Christian Science Monitor
"Timberlake has written an entertaining and compelling novel about the value of a single life, be it human or avian." -- The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel included ONE CAME HOME in its list of "10 favorite books of 2013!"
A sister lost. A body found. The truth buried.
A National Public Radio (NPR!) Best Book of the Year ••• A Washington Post Best Book of the Year ••• One of The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's "10 favorite books of 2013" •••A Bookpage Best Book of the Year ••• A Kirkus Reviews Best Book of the Year ••• A New York Public Library's "100 Titles for Reading and Sharing" Title ••• A 2013 Junior Library Guild Selection ••• A Scholastic Book Clubs Selection (February 2014 flyer) ••• A 2014 Texas Lone Star Reading List Book •••
(It also made the Mock Newbery list hosted by Anderson's Bookshop in Naperville -- a store I love. Go Anderson's!)
Starred Reviews in Kirkus, The Horn Book, School Library Journal and The Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books
Seen in The Washington Post, The Christian Science Monitor,The Atlantic Wire, The Buffalo News, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, Hudson Star-Observer and The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Heard on Wisconsin Public Radio
Coming soon as an audiobook from Listening Library (January 2014)
Discuss! Discuss! Discuss!
We've got an Activity Kit/Discussion guide for One Came Home. Feel free to download and distribute to anyone and everyone.
People are talking about passenger pigeons! One group is discussing bringing them back from extinction using DNA. What do you think about that? Click on link above to find out more.
Great stuff about ONE CAME HOME that will help you share the book with others.
Go local buying my book
If you've got a local bookstore, you can go LOCAL. Buying locally will help build the kind of book-loving community we readers like to reside in. So I'd love it if you supported your local bookstore by buying a copy of my book. Click the link below to buy local!
No bookstores in your neck of the woods, but still determined to buy from a mom and pop-type bookstore? How about one that supports Chicago authors? In that case, let me loan you a few of my favorites. They're wonderful folks and would love to ship you the book. Here's a list:
- The Book Cellar (Chicago/Lincoln Square)
- City Lit Bookstore (Chicago/Logan Square)
- Sandmeyer's Bookstore (Chicago/near Mag Mile)
- Barbara's Bookstore (several locations)
- Unabridged Books (Chicago/Lakeview)
- 57th Street Books (Hyde Park -- President Obama's neighborhood bookshop!)
- Magic Tree Bookstore (Oak Park, IL)
- The Book Stall (Winnetka, IL)
- Townhouse Books (St. Charles, IL -- hands down, best banana cream pie too!)
- Women & Children First (Chicago/Andersonville)
- Anderson's Bookshop (Naperville, IL)
- Lake Forest Book Store (Lake Forest, IL)
- Seminary Co-Operative Bookstore (Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago)